Friday, November 20, 2009

Delivery

My Mindstorms kit was delivered today!

I took some time to build the demo unit that comes with the instructions with little trouble. The demo unit doesn't have a lot on it: two motors with tank treads and a third motor not connected to anything. No sensors are included in the directions. This platform is really meant to be expanded upon with new ideas for basic experimentation, but what I've got in mind isn't going to make much use of what's there. A new platform will have to be built.

The NXT allows you to enter basic programs via an interface in the unit itself. I have been able to write small programs that allow the unit to move around and avoid obstacles using this interface. Here the platform is pictured with a sonic range finder off of the front. My computer has been acting odd lately so I haven't been able to write any mature code. I look forward to having my computer working again so I can do some real programming with this.

One thing that is going to become troublesome, however, is the massive amount of unorganised pieces. When I was investigating the kit online, it seemed as if it came with a case to store and organise the parts. Instead, there are many small bags that tear easily. I'll either have to order a case from LEGO or use a tackle box or something.

No comments: